Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lion's Life Wednesday: A Long Term Relationship?

***Lion is my best friend from college. He's a very focused young man working on getting his MD. This focus makes having a love life a very difficult undertaking. But he's making it happen somehow.***

Quick Recap [The last time I wrote about Lion and his girlfriend Rudy was to look forward to the future on their behalf. They'll both be done with school in 2012 (I think) and if they are still together, they will have to make some difficult decisions because they want very different things out of life: where to live, if to have to children, if to get married, when to do all these things. I have this fear that things aren't gonna end well. And when she accuses him of wasting the best years of her life, he's gonna say, you knew this was who I was and what I (didn't) want. But for now, they are making their long-distance grad school relationship work.]

Last time I asked Lion about Rudy, he said they barely had time to talk because their schedules were different and practically opposite. Thank God for technology and good friends. They text a lot because that's pretty much all they can do most of the time. Also, a mutual friends of theirs has more time and talks to both of them quite frequently. He relays messages as well. They're making it work. And as far as I know, both of them are cool with the situation as it stands because it's temporary.

I still have my fear about their future. I like Rudy for Lion. She makes him happy, and he makes her happy. They do pretty well on my 6/6 scale. To refresh my scale has three questions that becomes six when answered by both people in the couple. Question 1: Are you happy? Question 2: Is your relationship healthy? Question 3: Does this person make you a better person? I would like it if Lion and Rudy talked about more sensitive subjects. It seems like parts of their relationship are still so surface. But maybe their just not the kind of people who discuss difficult things. If they have that in common, it's lucky that they found each other. The point is that they answer yes to those questions, not me. I think they'd have at least 4 out of 6 and they are a work in progress because we know it's not as good as it can get while they live apart with crazy schedules.

I'm looking forward to seeing how long this current setup will last. Lion is in medical school, so his schedule can theoretically change every two months or so as he switches rotations. Rudy is a working grad student, so her schedule is a little more set in stone for this semester.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails