Monday, August 23, 2010

Sonny's Sunday: How Do I Put This..? Trouble In Paradise

***Sonny is an old friend of mine. We went to elementary, middle, and high school together. He's also my friend who's doing the super-adult thing. He and his new fiancee Cher just bought a house. They're working on planning a life together. Even with all that stability, their love life is still interesting.***

Quick Recap[The last time I wrote about Sonny, it was to tell the story of how he proposed and it ended with the two of them heading off on a romantic cruise. I was looking forward to having another adult couple as friends (in addition to Bad and Jordan) I could hang out with and pretend I was fully grown by living vicariously through their adult relationship.] Read Sonny's Posts.
The last time I saw Sonny and Cher was when they helped me move from Rockford back to Chicago. That was incredibly awesome of them to help, and it gave us a chance to catch up. Sonny told me that he had convinced Cher to have the wedding on a cruise. That will be totally exciting for them and I think it will really fit who they are as a couple.

But, he also told me something else. Cue dramatic soap opera music. She's been driving him pretty crazy with her insecurities about their relationship. He figured she's calm down a bit after he proposed. He reasoned that a sane person would feel more secure in a relationship in which you were literally planning the details of the wedding ceremony. But the opposite has happened with her.

Their fights have been pretty bad, but they're still together. I'm hoping they can find a way to work through it. I tried to explain to him that he knows his girl and he knows that she can be this way, and he just needs to talk her down from the crazy ledge so they can be happy. I didn't exactly phrase it that way, but that was the point I was making. I wish he had more time to spend with me without her. He really needs to be able to vent to someone who will listen without judging Cher. That's what most of his friends do. They hear how things are rough right now and question why the two of them are still together. I see this as more of a rough patch and I try to encourage him to find root of the problem. Cher tends to argue around a problem instead of tackling it head on.

I think it will turn out okay in the end. They are still planning the wedding. But I'm hoping it gets worked out soon because Sonny expressed to me a growing disappointment in the state of their relationship. I know long term relationships have ups and downs, it just sucks that this down is coming so soon after they just got engaged.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails