Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sonny's Sunday: A Slice of Life As An Engaged Couple

***Sonny is an old friend of mine. We went to elementary, middle, and high school together. He's also my friend who's doing the super-adult thing. He and his new fiancee Cher just bought a house. They're working on planning a life together. Even with all that stability, their love life is still interesting.***


Quick Recap [My last post about Sonny was two weeks ago. In that post, I was relaying what I knew about their wedding plans. There was not much to report. They really haven't been able to nail down the details of their upcoming nuptials. But they have been having other life changes which I didn't post about, but I will now.] Read Sonny's Sunday posts.


Sonny quit his job. He just gathered his shit and left because he couldn't take it anymore. He's currently studying for the GRE and choosing which grad schools to apply to. And he's also searching for a new job. What possessed him to quit his job? Well, Cher recently got a job that paid twice what his job did. So they went from one income and surviving to one income that is double what they used to have. Their mortgage and financial obligations are being handled.


That being said, the dynamic in the house has shifted because now Cher is the breadwinner. It's made for some interesting new developments in their arguments. I'm not going to get into specifics, but let's just say things end worse for Sonny than they have in previous arguments. I hope he gets a job soon so his joblessness doesn't get tosses at him like an insult meant to bring him down.


Here's the most interesting thing: two weeks ago, I posted about upcoming wedding plans, but right around that time, they called the wedding off. Literally two days after he's sharing with me the plans, he was saying they weren't getting married. I felt like there was no way they could not get married. No one else wants either of them. Plus, they have a mortgage. Those aren't good reasons to stay, but they're certainly good reasons not to walk away hastily.


After the fight was sorted out, they were back on track. But I do wonder what Cher thinks Sonny tells me about their relationship. I'm all for presenting a united front in public, but not a bullshitty one. They picked me up from the train the last time I came back from St. Louis. I thought it was going to be just Sonny. We were supposed to go for coffee and he was gonna talk (vent) out his issues. Kind of pressing reset on his wound up emotions. But that didn't happen. Cher was, for whatever reason, not at work and out with him for the day.


They talked of their upcoming wedding, the Chicago elections that day, and his plans for grad school. I didn't mention that they had recently called things off and neither did they. I guess it's something we'll keep pretending doesn't happen. In public, Sonny and Cher do not have huge fights that lead to weddings being called off, phones needing to be replaced, and holes in the wall.


Moving on. The reason they have so many wedding details not yet figured out is because Disney only takes reservations one year in advance. They are going to pick some tentative dates in June and at the first available date (one year in advance), they will make their reservations and get things underway.


There will be a lot to do. They have to figure out pricing for their wedding guests, they have to finalize their wedding party, pick food, flowers, etc. It will be a lot of work. But they really can't sort anything else out until they've made their reservations and picked a wedding package. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to a Disney cruise boat wedding. I just recently saw a commercial for the Disney Cruise Line. I'm going to have so much fun on that cruise!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails