Monday, September 27, 2010

Melody's Monday: Second Year of School, And She's Doing Fine

***Melody is my little sister for all intents and purposes. She has just begun her second year of college. She's learning the ups and downs of relationships, as well as what she's looking for in a relationship as a young adult. Her ideas of romance are informed by the Bible, parents, romantic comedies, and friends. Take that, add in some newfound freedom, and you've got a recipe for interesting tales.***

Last week, I was talking about how Melody was newly single and that she was hurt and moving on. And she is; moving on, I mean. The last time I spoke to her, she was talking about trying to change the type of guy she attracts. I was so glad to hear that from her because it meant she wasn't about to slip into self-pity, miss-my-man, woe-is-me mode.

Melody is sometimes reserved and so she attracts the kind of guys who like that. She's also expressed an interest in dating men outside her race. I don't know how I like that as an actual goal, but I think the change could be good. Anyone who's honest with themselves will admit that overall, there are some cultural differences that make dating white men or Latino men very different from dating black men. This is just a generalization, and she could very well find herself a Latino guy who is culturally exactly like every guy she's already dated.

I would prefer if she just wanted to expand her horizons and be open to dating whatever kind of guy as opposed to just black men. But I'm less concerned because she's not an aggressive woman. So I know she won't wake up to the nearest cute white guy and ask him out. Therefore, she won't have to explain in a few weeks that she like him cause he's not black. That would be bad. But I don't think that's gonna happen.

What I do know is it would make for an interesting set of stories if she gets involved in an inter-racial relationship. It would be very new territory for her.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails