Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lion's Life Saturday: Impending Doom

***Lion is my best friend from college. He's a very focused young man working on getting his MD. This focus makes having a love life a very difficult undertaking. But he's making it happen somehow.***

Quick Recap [My last post about Lion was two weeks ago. In it, I described Lion's uncertainty about the future of his relationship with Rudy. I also may have, ahem, described some future bridezilla-type behavior on my part.] Read Lion's Life Wednesday posts

I spoke to Lion recently about the status of his love life and he said the third worst thing I could hear. First would have been that his girlfriend Rudy dumped him. Second would have been that he dumped her.

What he actually told me is that he feels like he is pulling away from her. She has moved back to Boston and living with her parents while she sorts out what she's going to do next.

I'm not sure if her transfer to a grad program in Boston has gone through or not. Hopefully it does so that she can finish her Master's degree. Also, she's still looking for work as far as I know.

When Rudy decided to move back, she didn't tell Lion right away. He was making plans to do an away rotation down in Florida during his upcoming 4th year of med school so that he could spend a whole month with Rudy. But she changed her plans without informing him.

So he's still going down to Florida and doesn't even want to try and get a rotation in Boston. He's not interested in spending a month there while she's living with her parents and not really sure what direction she's headed in.

Her abrupt life change + his upcoming decisions about residency + a general frustration with some problems in their relationship seems to have reached a tipping point for Lion. Like I said, he said he can feel himself pulling away from her. They speak less often and he is worried for the future of their relationship.

Once again, he's trying to figure out what he should do. I didn't offer any advice because he didn't ask for it. I did express sadness over the thought of the possible demise of their relationship though.

Now that I feel emotionally invested in Rudy and Lion's relationship, I don't want to see it end. I wish he would rather have that painful discussion about their problems on the chance that it could work out rather than give up because that's easier.

He hasn't made any firm decisions yet, so there's still time. Cross your fingers with me!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails