Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Camille's Wishful Wednesday: Single Self-Improvement

***Camille is a friend of mine I know from church. She is classified on another blog I read as a "hopeless romantic", and I think that describes her pretty well. I also think she's incredibly well-balanced and able to work on multiple parts of herself at once. She is a law student, a Sunday school teacher, and an all-around good person. She has some pretty concrete ideas about men and the type of man she'd like to end up with. But she's doing the in-my-20s-dating-follies thing as well.***
Read Wishful Wednesday posts.


Last week, I linked to a post and talked a bit about Camille looking for Mr. Right. I was interested to see what her reaction was to how she's been characterized in my blog. I told her I was trying to make her come off as a woman who's searching for the right man for her, but in the meantime, focusing on improving herself as a person and embracing being single. She's no Bridget Jones.


Camille did read the posts and she said with the exception of talking about her reaction to an acquaintance of ours getting engaged, I had pretty accurately captured the image I was trying to portray. I think that women who are in Camille's position can sometimes come off a desperate and leaving their lives on hold while waiting for the man who will make their world complete. But that's definitely not Camille. She's getting a law degree, working her way through a diet and exercise regimen to make herself healthier, and working on her relationships with friends and family without worrying about if today is the day she'll meet Mr. Right.


I admire that so much, and it makes me proud to be her friend. I don't do desperation, and I'm glad none of my friends do either. About Camille's law degree, she's making moves not just in the classroom, but also with her extracurriculars. She's getting involved and doing the networking necessary to secure job offers and internships that will help make her career.


About Camille's diet, she's technically on a diet because what's she's doing now is not a full lifestyle change, but it's a temporary change to jump start a lifestyle change. She has cut out fried foods and all bread and most other carbs too. She's already being accused of getting all skinny by her classmates. She's making her health and body image a priority and it's not because of a man.


All of this does have a cute story that comes with it. I mentioned Bachelor #1 two weeks ago. This guy has popped up again. Camille was out to dinner with her mother and the owner of the restaurant brought her out a complimentary bread pudding free of charge for dessert. Side note: I love having pretty friends where stuff like this just happens. She texted me, "bread pudding! oh no!" But then she came up with a great solution.


She decided to take the dessert to go and bring it to Bachelor #1. This was cute because it's a classic move of a girl to bring dessert (usually cookies) to the guy she likes. They're just friends, not even dating or anything like that, but I thinks it's a good gesture to encourage him and help his potential interest in her grow.


Also, this dessert sharing tells me something, this guy is someone she sees and spends time with. They're on Spring Break right now and bread pudding doesn't hold forever. She went to the restaurant last Thursday I believe, and I know she wasn't going to keep that bread pudding for eleven days until classes resume. Even if nothing happens between Camille and Bachelor #1, it's nice that she has that male attention that fits into (and doesn't interfere with) her focus on herself.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails