Saturday, March 12, 2011

Noni's Stargazing Saturday: Deciding To Get Married Without Actually Getting Married

***Noni is one of my really good friends from college. We were even roommates for a year and some change. But now she's back in school back home where she's from. And she's starting a family with a baby boy and working on herself and her relationship at the same time. Things won't always be easy, but they're usually always interesting.***
Read Stargazing Saturday posts.


Last week, I linked to an article from Your Tango that talked about making time as a couple when you have a child in the house. I thought that would be a good article for anyone in Noni's and Eric's situation.


I was hoping to have more to say about Noni's actual love life this weekend, but alas, it's not to be. She's still super busy and all I know is that a lot has happened, but things are fine. She's still with Eric and they're still raising their son together and she's still in school. At least that what I take "things are fine" to mean. So I'm trolling the internet, looking for something interesting to link to related to Noni's love life as it currently (I think) stands. I Googled the terms "engaged forever" and "engaged too long". Noni and Eric have been engaged forever it seems. Way before she got pregnant, if memory serves me correctly.


I found an interesting forum topic on DrPhil.com. You can read it here. It doesn't really apply to Noni and Eric because as far as I know, she's not begging him to get married and he's not making up all kinds of excuses to avoid it. On to the next.

The next post comes from DearCupid.org. You can read it here. This one was interesting. The woman's sister had been engaged for fourteen years! To each his/her own, I suppose. But the advice given was varied and mostly based on peoples' own experiences. Why don't people give actual advice instead of "this is what I would do if you were me"? Not even "if I were you". Sigh.

The third and final link is from BlackandMarriedWithKids.com. That sounds exactly like Noni and Eric, so I was hoping this would really apply to them. You can read the post here. The article is titled How Long Is Too Long To Be Engaged. The suggestion offered in this one is a year to have both the ring and the date set.


I find this third article the most interesting (and fitting for Noni and Eric) because it's gets right down to the nitty gritty. It sets a specific time for how things should be, but allows for exceptions. Noni has a reasonable exception to the rule: some birth certificate issues. It can keep you from hopping on a plane out of the country, and apparently can keep you from getting married. I'm not sure if Eric ever gave her a ring, but apparently, they're still good if there's no ring involved. It's more like they've just decided they will get married, but they aren't yet officially engaged. I guess.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails