Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tip Top Tuesday: Being Unapologetically You

***My girl Top is unique and one-of-a-kind. This makes the story of her love life especially interesting. Just when you think you've got her figured, she makes an unexpected move. She's my career-minded friend who's always focused on self-improvement. She's also super-independent yet a closet nurturer. Read and learn how to be fabulous.***
Read Tip Top Tuesday posts.


Last week, I told two stories about Top that revolve around her world as a single girl. The first was a story about her mother looking forward to grandchildren, but not a son-in-law. The second was about another step towards closure with her Ex.


I wanted to write that blog post, but I did worry about if it would be too personal. But Top said she read the post, liked the post, and was glad I wrote it. She said she liked that for once, I wasn't sugar coating things. I had a good reason for sugar coating things, but she was right.


Worrying about people who may come across this blog and easily figure out who these people are that I write about could get folks in trouble. I do leave stuff out of the blog when it's requested, but I guess I don't have to work so hard to sugar coat things when it's not requested. I just don't want to cross that line of telling something to the whole world that was told to me as a friend. I already feel like the world's biggest gossip. But turning my friends' love lives into a soap opera-y blog has been fun for me, and fun for some of them as well.


Now, moving on to what I'll discuss about Top for this week. I started by Googling "single and fabulous", since that's how I would describe Top. She's one of my only friends who says she's okay being single, and that doesn't have an implied "but". But, that search didn't yield the type of results I was hoping for. I did find some interesting blogs to read. But I tried again with "single and happy". After sorting through the links that suggested tips on how to be single and happy, I found three posts that simply talk about it as a normal state of being. Top isn't really needing the self-help stuff to teach her how to be single and happy. She's got that part down.


Here are the three links:
Single and Happy: It's the Norm, Not the Exception

Single And Happy: It's The Freemales

Single And Happy


All three articles talk about how it's normal, and even, gasp, a good thing to be single and be happy. It's certainly preferable over settling for someone who isn't the right person and contributing to the high divorce rate. Top would rather be single if she can't be with the kind of man who works with who she is as a person without constantly projecting onto her. I think even if she did find that man, it would take a lot to get her to decide giving up her singlehood was worth it. This man would need to put in a lot of time, convincing her over time, that he was worth it.


There are definitely more articles about this that fit who Top is outside of America. I guess that works seeing as how she intends to move out of the country possibly for her next big move. I don't know when it's going to happen, but Top is the kind of woman who can make something like that happen. I am excited for the possibility that she'll branch out even farther. I'll be living vicariously through her, going where she wants, and doing what she wants. And most of all, making no apologies for putting herself first.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails